Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Handmade bridal shower gift

Travel bags make great gifts for a bride to be, and this fabric is perfect for a summer honeymoon!

A month (or two!) ago I made some cosmetic bags for my soon to be sister-in-law (also named Kelli!) who has a fantastic sense of style.  I was a little intimidated with the thought of making something for her, but when I found this fabric, I was pretty sure she would love it. 

I actually made a really cool roll up bag with some clear plastic to make it water-resistant, but my thread got caught in it as I was placing the final touches and I am now keeping that bag for myself.  I did manage to make a good sized bag for her hair products and a smaller one for some of her cosmetics.








The floral is a heavy weight fabric so it adds a little body to the bags, and the yellow one is a regular quilting weight cotton, which is perfect for pleating.  I used a tutorial from Anna at Noodlehead for the yellow one (minus the credit card slots) and love how it came out.  I think the next few pouches I make will be similar. 


Photobucket

1 comment:

Thanks for reading Irene Design! I try to reply to every comment, and if you have a specific question please be sure you include your email or have it enabled on your Blogger profile. Happy Sewing!