Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pattern Review: Milla Modern Pinafore Pattern

Original post dated November 11, 2009

Milla Modern Pinafore Pattern
Format: PDF, e-pattern
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner, Intermediate
Designer: Romeo and Mae

I could (and sometimes do) spend hours browsing through patterns and fabrics online. I would do it in person if I had the time. I recently found some patterns by Romeo and Mae that I fell head over heels for. What's a girl to do when she falls head over heels for a pattern but buy it? (How materialistic does that sound? yikes!)

I purchased the Milla Modern Pinafor pattern and haven't looked back. I made three dresses in one weekend and another dress this past weekend but couldn't get the pictures because I had this huge ordeal with trying to get the snaps on. The short version of the story is that I finally had a coupon for Joann's so I bit the bullet and bought a real pair of snap pliers. It was the best decision I made since buying this pattern.

The pattern comes as a .pdf straight to your inbox so you don't have to wait a week for the mailman to show up. You can also print it out in every size rather than messing around with folding the right size from your pattern.

The pattern and directions are very straightforward; there were no points of confusion for me, and that is saying a lot. I really do not do well with directions, but this pattern may be the first exception.

My one complaint--and this is a small one--is that the sizing seems a bit off. I have an average sized two month old, and when I made the first dress using the 0-3 month size, it was too small for her. So I have been making one size up for her. I still need to make a few adjustments to the sizing because even the 3-6 month size is border line too tight around the chest. If Iwant her to be able to wear the dress for more than one month, I will need to widen the chest area a bit and lengthen the straps. I would say that a 1/2" addition to all seems would do the trick.

It takes me about 1.5 hours to make one dress from start to finish. I think I am getting it down to closer to an hour though.

One thing I love about this pattern is how versatile it is. The dress would be really cute in the summer as a stand alone outfit, but it can also be paired with long sleeves and tights or baby legs for the fall and winter months.

I also love that I can mix and match my fabrics.

This pattern is a great pattern for anyone who can sew at an intermediate level or above. It does take a little know-how with maneuvering the neckline through your machine, but other than that, it is very simple.

Adeline wore the pink one to church last weekend.


This one is probably going to be one of Adeline's Christmas party dresses. She is a popular baby, so she will need more than one Christmas party dress.


This is the first one I made. It would be perfect for a newborn or very petite 0-3 month old. It is currently in my shop.

Want to make a Modern Pinafore? Check out Romeo and Mae's SHOP.

Want to buy a Modern Pinafore? Check out my SHOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Irene Design! I try to reply to every comment, and if you have a specific question please be sure you include your email or have it enabled on your Blogger profile. Happy Sewing!