Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Embroidery Hoop Christmas Ornament

Monday I found out I would be going to a luncheon this coming Sunday that included an ornament exchange. I thought about heading out and buying one, but not being one to let things be simple, I decided to make one. I knew that last night would be my only chance to do so before Sunday.

Last year, Kristie at OCD made some really cool ornaments with fabric and an embroidery hoop, so I took a cue from her and went that route.  {I didn't see this until looking for links this morning, but here is a tutorial she wrote!}

Since this was my first, I kept it really simple.  I think the background fabric is a Heather Ross scrap, but I could be totally wrong! {I got it in a scrap swap with Sara.} I used double sided fusible interfacing to attach the the flags before doing my "embroidery", but next time I will try a glue stick or my spray basting because it didn't really stick.  I hesitate to call this embroidery because I was totally guessing on what to do, but I really like how this came out!


I used a 3" wooden embroidery hoop which is a great size for an ornament. {Anyone know if there is such a thing as a 3.5" hoop?  I couldn't find any, but that would truly be the perfect size.}

Since this is the only sewing I'll be doing this week and probably my only blog post {although I do have a finished quilt to show!}, I will be linking up with Amy's Sew & Tell on Friday.





Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Joy has been my word/goal for the year, so of course I love your ornament!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute. I'm sure whoever you swap with will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Irene Design! I try to reply to every comment, and if you have a specific question please be sure you include your email or have it enabled on your Blogger profile. Happy Sewing!