Thursday, October 28, 2010

We all need a little help from our friends

Do you all remember when I told you about Della's quilt for the first time? Probably not. That's because I had a completely different blog address back then. That was almost a year ago, and it was supposed to be a gift for her first birthday.

Where is it now? The top is completed and sitting--folded nicely--on a piece of our old coffee table in my sewing room.  It's been there since August--her birthday month.



I don't really feel like I failed on this one; it's more like I just lost the will to make it. The main reason is because the quilt is GINORMOUS. I mean Della is a year old. She doesn't need a twin-bed-sized comforter! Unfortunately I didn't stop to think that a finished quilt that measures 60"x70" would be exactly too big for the next 4 years.

I'm not really sure what to do on this. I already have all the fabric to finish this one, and I do like it. But I don't really want to finish it.  yes, there was a slightly whiny tone and some foot stomping there. I do want her to have a quilt I made her; I just always envision a toddler sized quilt when I think of giving this to her, not one for a baby troll.

So I'm thinking of scrapping this project for now, maybe finishing it with something or someone else in mind. I haven't really decided this, but I'm leaning in that direction. What do you all think? Is it terrible if I don't finish my first quilt before starting another? I mean, am I putting some kind of evil quilting jinx on myself for doing that?!  I may need a little hand-holding on this one!


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Kelly, I love this quilt. LOVE. LCould you make two smaller ones?! Because I would totally buy one. I think it's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm...could you just sew it to some nice fabric (just rights sides together, no quilting) to save yourself some time, and then you'd be finished? It could be a light summer sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not a bad idea Sara. I could also measure it out and see about making it a duvet cover....I may have to think about that one. I do plan on finishing, just not for her gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Irene Design! I try to reply to every comment, and if you have a specific question please be sure you include your email or have it enabled on your Blogger profile. Happy Sewing!