Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WIP Wednesday

Besides finishing the quilting on Kitchen Windows, I also managed to go from this


to this over the last week.

After sewing the last row on last night, I kindly asked my hubby to spend "no less than 30 seconds admiring my first ever self-designed quilt!" He was very kind and spent at least 31 seconds admiring it before moving back to his own work.

Here's the entire quilt top.

I still need a little help with the whole math thing; the top is bigger than I wanted it to be, so the piece of fabric I have for the back isn't going to be big enough.  I could cut off one row on the left side and one on the top and it would all fit, or I could go with Plan B and piece some extra for the back.  I'm considering both: adding a little piecing to the back but still taking off those two rows to make it closer to the crib size (it's currently 44"x48" and I wanted it to be more like 36-40" x 40-44"). 

I have some really nice variagated orange & pink DMC Perle 8 thread that I will be using to hand quilt over the coming weeks, so don't expect to see this as a real finish any time soon.

In other WIP news, I'm still waiting on my pattern to start the Colette top, but I'll probably be putting this one off for a little while either way.  I have three quilts that need to be bound, and at least two take priority over the top.

I've kept up a pretty strong pace with the sewing recently, but I'm finally stopping (the frantic part, not the sewing!).  This baby is coming soon, and my body is ready to rest and enjoy the quieter aspects of binding and hand quilting that await!

Once again, I'm linking up with Lee and the other fabulous artists showing off their goods at WIP Wednesday!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. I like your design! I admired it for about 7 seconds before moving on, so give that hubby a hug :)hee.hee! My 2 cents, add piecing to the back to make it bigger and cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! Congrats on your first design! I hate the idea of cutting rows off though, so much hard work just to cut it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your sweet comment on the blog. Your quilt is looking amazing! I love the colors you've chosen against the white and such a pretty design...so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some really nice quilts there in the stack. :D How exciting to have a baby coming soon. Is this your first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "Kitchen Windows" is gorgeous! I love the asymmetry of the quilt you designed, too. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely make the back bigger!! This quilt is too beautiful to remove any rows and the extra size will be an added bonus. Love that pretty stack of quilts ... that purple and aqua combo is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the quilt! I wouldn't be able to cut rows off, so I vote make the back bigger. I don't think it would be too big for a baby blanket :) The colors and pattern are just wonderful! And I make my husband do the same thing haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would suggest piecing a row of HST for the back. =) The quilt top looks fantastic!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing. The colors are great and the placement is fantastic. That sounds like my hubby. It is usually about 5 seconds though. Followed by a that looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love your quilt. I'm working on one with pinks and oranges right now too! Love the asymmetry, so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!!! I noticed you added this gorgeous quilt to the chasing cottons flickr group.... Does that mean you were inspired by something in the quilt 101 class?? If so, I would LOVE to add it to the big reveal tonight!! It's just gorgeous!! Xxx Bec

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is fantastic! You designed that? Wow. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow - this is a fabulous design!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Irene Design! I try to reply to every comment, and if you have a specific question please be sure you include your email or have it enabled on your Blogger profile. Happy Sewing!