Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The ElnaSuper

I have a new addition in my home--at least temporarily. My in-laws were visiting over Memorial Day weekend and my mother in law brought her grandmother's old sewing machine for me to use. 


When she lifted the metal case to the table and brought out this little beauty I was a bit intimidated to use it.  I have a cheap Brother that works surprisingly well given what I paid and how much I have used the machine.  It's plastic and I'm not afraid of pushing it's limits.  This on on the other hand is made of metal from the bobbin case to the machine case, and if I break it, I'm breaking a piece of family history!


Apparently I have pushed my machine to at least one of its limits because my bobbin winder broke.  Of course I ran out of bobbin thread somewhere around 130 out of 150 napkins that had to be finished before my in laws headed home.  So we used the ElnaSuper to finish the job and she sews beautifully! {Of course. What was I thinking?}  It was so easy to use--no skipped stitches or broken threads. This is no frail old woman; she is still quite super. I'm not sure I'm ready to try any free motion quilting on the machine just yet {although the throat space is magnificent!} but I think I'll use it for piecing together the Garden Fence quilt top.


The machine comes with all kinds of discs for different stitches. I am sure I'll find a good use for these little ducks soon!


In case you're wondering how old the machine is, here is a picture from the manual. Of course a real lady never reveals her age so I'll leave you marveling at how young she still looks.


 Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Have fun with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found one of these in a second hand store. So, you I will have to buy a different cam for each stitch that I want to make? Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    (Your email is blocked as a "No-Reply" blogger, so I can only reply this way.)
    I have yet to venture past straight and zig-zag stitches, both of which I can do with the same black disc. I bet you can find them on Ebay if you want additional stitches. I hope you enjoy the machine! Let me know if you have any other questions about it. You can email me directly if you want irenedesign{at}ymail{dot}com.
    -Kelly Irene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly,
    I have my grandmothers machine. I have the owners manuel's somewhere, but can not find them. I would like to lower the feed dogs to do some quilting. Is this possible? Is there a trick to it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG your blog is so interesting,You are on fire, girl! You know I love the leather cuff; it's got your signature flowers all over it!
    everbuying

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ! Great ! I.ve got the same from my Mum... I love it!but I'm looking for the book original (I found one but not exactly the same)
    I eoul appreciate if you can send me a PDF copy.
    I.m specially looking to know how to use the button tha can be switched from up to down.. sophiehubot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Irene Design! I try to reply to every comment, and if you have a specific question please be sure you include your email or have it enabled on your Blogger profile. Happy Sewing!