Friday, September 24, 2010

Two Truths and A Lie: The Amy Butler version


Two (semi)Truths and A (semi) Lie
Remember this game?  I tell you three things. Two are true and one is a lie.  You guess which is which.  Then I tell you and you see if you're right or not.  OK, here goes.

1. I don't like Amy Butler's Fabrics
2. I don't like Amy Butler's Patterns
3. I Hoard every piece of Amy Butler fabric I ever get my hands on.

So do you know which two are true and which one is a lie?  Don't worry, I'm going to tell you!

1. True. Sort of.  When I see many of the swatches of Amy's designs on my computer screen, I'm not that excited.  I mean, I think they look nice, but what am I going to do with it? My typical answer is to draw a blank.  However, when I actually get a piece of Amy's fabrics in my hand, I fall instantly in love (in an admittedly materialistic sort of way), and the possibilities seem endless. Once I have the fabric in hand, I want bolts of the stuff and just can't get enough!

2. False. Sort of. Every sewing pattern or book I have seen by Amy makes me want to drop what I am doing and make it. In fact, I have two of her books that I love to look at. However, once I actually pick something to make, I realize it is going to be a very involved process because her sewing isn't the kind that takes short cuts and cuts corners.  That's why it looks so nice though.  I think I need to have an AB sewing month so I can start making more of the cute cute patterns of hers I have!

3. True. Until now.  The first piece of fabric I bought online was Amy's Morning Glory in Slate.  I hated it when I saw it on the computer but someone else wanted me to make something for them, and I bought it.  Of course I wished I had bought a whole bolt or two or three, but I didn't.  I did have one yard left over though.  And I had that yard waiting for the perfect project for the past 2+ years!  Then I saw the Sew and Tell Challenge on AmyLou's blog and knew I had to challenge myself to use this piece of fabric.


It had to be something for me though. I decided to make a craft apron for next weekend's show. I was going to do something simple but then saw a "great" tutorial for one that even had a hidden zipper pocket.  Let's just say about an hour in I thought I was going to have to throw away the fabric I had waited so long to use! I was able to salvage it though and make an apron that isn't quite what I envisioned, but oh well.  I still love this fabric and can't wait to wear the apron next weekend. 

Head on over to AmyLou's Sew and Tell Challenge to see lots of other great projects involving Amy Butler's fabrics and patterns.



Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I love it! lol, you're hilarious. I know what you mean, I think I can agree with you on your first point. I also had a 'moment' when I thought I was going to have to throw away my project for the Sew and Tell Challenge, too. I get like that. I am not a perfect sewer, I am so intent on the end results that sometimes I'm willing to live with the little mistakes. I love that fabric, though, what a great choice, and great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute apron! I'm sure you'll get a lot of compliments at the craft show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hidden zipper pocket? That is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome apron! And I'm so glad you used that fabric! Now you can put your apron on anytime you want when you want to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading Irene Design! I try to reply to every comment, and if you have a specific question please be sure you include your email or have it enabled on your Blogger profile. Happy Sewing!